San Juan College High School (SJCHS) is a free, public high school on the campus of San Juan College. The school opened in the fall of 2016 with 80 students. Operating under the direction of Farmington Municipal Schools, SJCHS serves students who reside in the Aztec, Bloomfield, Central Consolidated and Farmington School Districts. Starting with the Class of 2021, SJCHS is adding 100 freshmen students every year to the student body. Within four years, students will graduate with a New Mexico High School Diploma of Excellence, as well as an Associate Degree or Certificate from San Juan College. Any student seeking a non-traditional high school experience is encouraged to apply.
SJCHS Students will optimize their four years to achieve a High School Diploma and up to sixty transferable college credits designed within their MAP (My Academic Pathway.)
SJCHS will graduate students from high school with an associate degree, equip them for success in higher education and grow them into contributing members of society by offering an advanced academic environment, individualized instruction, personal accountability, meaningful relationships, community service, and workforce readiness while celebrating diversity.
SJCHS Griffins will SOAR (Student Oriented with Academic Rigor) and ROAR (Responsibility to Optimize Accomplishments for Rewards)
Quick Facts About SJCHS
- SJCHS Students will have access to SJC Student Services, such as the Library, Computer Lab, and Tutoring Center – to name a few.
- SJCHS Students will have the option to participate in appropriate San Juan College student clubs, activities and organizations.
- High school specific activities and clubs also will be available to foster academic advancement, social growth, and leadership skills. Some of those activities include:
- Supercomputing Challenge
- Science Olympiad
- Student Council
- Interact Club
- English Expo
- Student Ambassadors
- Science Fair
- Fitness Club
- Scholastic Publications
- SJCHS does not offer competitive NMAA athletic teams, such as football or soccer, and students are not eligible to play athletics at another high school.
- SJCHS Students will have access to the Health and Human Performance Center (HHPC) where they can utilize the gym facilities, take group exercise classes, participate in intramural sports, use the climbing wall, and participate in lifetime sports.
- SJCHS Students have the opportunity to participate in performing arts programs through San Juan College including band, orchestra, choir, theater, and fine arts as an after school activity or when their class schedule allows.
- Learning will be enhanced through opportunities to volunteer in the community, participate in career mentorships, and job shadow professionals.
- School bus transportation will be provided for students in all participating districts.
- Meals can be purchased on the San Juan College Farmington campus at Mary’s Kitchen.
- Success is enhanced as each student will have a student-specific career pathway that caters to their specific academic career goals: MAP or My Academic Pathway. Students’ coursework and classes will reflect their MAP.
- SJCHS is open to qualified students who exhibit a sincere interest in academics and are willing to work hard to meet the demanding expectations.
- Students must also be prepared to integrate into a college setting/adult environment. Students’ success is linked to having ownership in their educational process.
- Students will benefit from having completed 60 hours of transferable college coursework, which can be utilized at a four-year college or university toward completion of a bachelor’s degree or higher.